They’re our best friends. They give us total and unconditional love every day. A birthday seems just the right time to celebrate our adopted pups, but it’s a common problem that shelter pet parents don’t know what day their dog was born.
“Dogust,” the universal shelter dog birthday, takes place on August 1st each year. It’s a fun, nationwide celebration for dogs whose birthdays are unknown. Credit for this special holiday goes to the team at the North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization based in New York. In 2008 they decided to make sure every dog gets its own special day, and Dogust was born! Since then, shelters across the country have gotten involved.
Celebrate Dogust with Your Pup!
There are lots of ways to celebrate this universal shelter pet birthday with your adopted dog! Just taking a little extra time to celebrate them and honor their presence in our lives is wonderful. But if you want to get fancy, try some of these ideas:
- Purchase a ShelterU Blanket and the Black Dog will donate one to North Shore Animal League.
- Throw a puppy party using these tips from a dog party planner
- For water loving pups: Plan a cool pool party and beat the August Dog Day heat with pool games for dogs and frozen treats
- Bake your dog a birthday cake. (Here’s a yummy, dog-approved blueberry cake recipe)
- Go for a hike, and don’t forget these essentials for hiking with dogs.
- Celebrate with friends at the dog park
- Set sail with your water loving pup on a boating excursion
- Plant a tree in honor of your pup, and all the shelter animals in search of their forever home
- Celebrate your pet on social media by sharing photos, videos and a loving written tribute. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #Dogust
- Just snuggle up, watch a movie and spend time together
Help A Local Shelter Celebrate Dogust
The most impactful way to celebrate is to support your local shelter by adopting a dog or becoming a foster. You can also:
- Make a monetary donation. Many shelters have Dogust fundraisers,
- Donate supplies (food and toys.) Many shelters have lists of needed items.
Purchase a Black Dog ShelterU Blanket for Your Pup’s Dogust Birthday, We’ll Donate One to a Shelter Pet
Through a special partnership with Beantown Blankets, we’re proud to donate a comfy Black Dog ShelterU blanket to a dog awaiting its forever home at a participating shelter for each blanket purchased. What better way to give your rescue pup a special gift, knowing another deserving dog will benefit too! Learn More
However you decide to celebrate Dogust, we’d love you to tag us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and show us how you’re spending your special day.