A fun recipe to make with kids throughout this holiday season. Who doesn't love to stick their thumb in cookie dough? Just watch out for those dog paws!
If you'd like, you can easily swap out the raspberry jam for your favorite jam...strawberry, apricot, or even sweet orange marmalade work equally as well!Makes 2 dozen 2 in. cookies
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg separated (keep egg white in a clean large bowl)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Raspberry jam for filling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
2. In a mixer or large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour and salt.
3. Whisk the egg white until soft peaks occur. You can also use an electric hand mixer for this step. Set aside
4. With a small ice cream scoop or spoon scoop dough mixture into one inch balls.
5. Dip the balls into the whisked egg white and then roll in the chopped walnuts.
6. Place each cookie on the cookie sheet and press a thumbprint in its center. Bake about 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
7. Fill each "thumbprint" with a scoop of raspberry jam and return to the oven.
8. Bake an additional 3-4 minutes until golden.
___________________________________Find more recipes like these in our series of Black Dog Cookbooks with recipes straight from our our Tavern and Bakery:
The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard