Lobster Quesadilla with Heff's Black Bean & Corn Salsa
CELEBRATE CINCO DE MAYO WITH THE BLACK DOG TAVERN'S OWN
1 cooked lobster, 1 to 1 ½ pounds
8 10-inch flour tortillas
Extra virgin olive oil or clarified butter to brush on griddle
3 scallions, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup sour cream
2-3 canned chipotle, chopped
HEFF'S BLACK BEAN & CORN SALSA
2 ears corn
3 ripe tomatoes, sliced in half
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 fresh jalapeño (more, if you like it spicy), diced
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 10 ounce can chopped tomatoes
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cooked black beans
1 lime, sliced thin
DIRECTIONS FOR QUESADILLAS
- Remove the lobster meat from the tail and claws. Set aside the lobster body for Lobster Bisque (page 82) or stock. Chop into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Heat a flat griddle over medium heat. Brush with a small amount of the olive oil or clarified butter. Add a flour tortilla. Spread one quarter of the cheddar cheese over the tortilla. Add some scallions and one quarter of the lobster meat. When the cheese starts to melt, cover with another tortilla. Turn the quesadilla with a spatula to grill the other side. Remove from the griddle and set aside to set the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with the salsa, sour cream, lime and chipotle.
DIRECTIONS FOR SALSA
- With a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels by scrapping downward into a bowl. Spread evenly in a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Roast in a preheated 375˚ oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the tomato, cut side down in a small pie pan and drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Roast for 10 minutes at 375˚ until soft. When cooled, place in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, onion, pepper and jalapeño to the food processor and blend briefly for a coarse mixture.
- In a bowl, combine the cilantro, canned tomatoes, remaining olive oil, both vinegars and the cumin. Stir to blend.
- Add the roasted corn and black beans to the salsa. Stir to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust ingredients to your taste. Garnish with cilantro and lime.