If the cold winter weather has you craving a dish of something rich, warm, and nourishing, our fall-off-the-bone short ribs may be just the thing you are looking for. Our secret ingredient is cocoa which adds an unexpected twist that makes these irresistibly addictive.
6 lbs. short ribs
1/4 cup diced bacon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
4 cloves chopped garlic
2 cups red wine
3 cups chicken stock
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons grated dark chocolate
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
salt and pepper taste
1. Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and brown until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Add the ribs, a few at a time, and brown on all sides in the rendered bacon fat. Continue until all the ribs are browned. Set aside.
2. Add the olive oil and heat briefly. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and saute until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, taking care not to burn. Add the wine and stir to combine all the flavors in the pan, scraping up any brown bits that have accumulated at the bottom. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the stock, thyme, bay leaf, and cooked bacon.
3. Add the cooked ribs and stir to coat. Simmer on low heat, covered for about 1 1/2 hours. Check and stir as needed to prevent sticking and burning. Uncover and simmer on low until the ribs are tender and the meat starts to fall off the bone about 1 - 1 1/2 hours more.
4. When the ribs are tender, gently remove and set aside. Skim any fat from the surface. Add the chocolate, cocoa powder, parsley, and rosemary. Stir to blend. Return the ribs to the sauce and let simmer until heated through, 5-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve ribs and sauce over Three Cheese Polenta and Oven Roasted Vegetables (both found in our 40th Anniversary Cookbook).
___________________________________Find more recipes like these in our series of Black Dog Cookbooks with recipes straight from our our Tavern and Bakery:
The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard