Cranberry Tea Bread
Our Cranberry Tea Bread is the perfect treat for those frosty mornings. Spread with butter or cream cheese while it is still warm, grab your coffee and you're good to go!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, softened
¾ cup fresh orange juice
¾ cup walnuts or pecans
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf plan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
2. In another bowl, cream together the sugar and the butter with a wooden spoon or electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the orange juice and the sifted dry ingredients and stir together.
3. Chop the orange rind in a small food processor for a few seconds, then add the walnuts and cranberries and continue processing until the nuts are just chopped. The orange rind should be in a fine mince.
4. Add this chopped mixture to the batter and stir until distributed. Pour into your prepared loaf plan.
5. Bake for about an hour. Check to see if a knife comes out clean at 45 to 50 minutes.
6. Cool on a rack for about 20 minutes before slicing.
SERVES 6 TO 8
Interested in more recipes from The Black Dog Tavern and Bakery? Check out our 40th Anniversary Cookbook.